Sherwood Rd Organic Meats show us how to create a show-stopping organic ham – sticky and sweet to wow your guests this Christmas!
Prep time: 25min
Cooking time: 1 hr
This recipe is free from gluten, dairy and sugar.
- 4kg (half) or 8kg (whole) nitrate-free, sugar-free leg of ham-on-the-bone (rind on)
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp mustard
- zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- Approx 30 cloves
- To a saucepan add pomegranate juice, maple syrup, mustard and orange zest. whisk to combine. simmer over medium heat until it begins to thicken, stirring regularly. set aside to cool.
- Use a sharp knife to score the skin around the ham hock.
- Use fingers to peel back the skin from around the ham leaving the fat in-tact.
- Use a sharp knife to score through the fat in a criss-cross pattern (be careful not to cut through to the meat).
- Brush ham with a generous amount of glaze.
- Push a clove into each diamond.
- Place ham in a roasting pan and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until it starts to colour.
- Remove from oven and brush with additional glaze and put back into the oven for another 20 minutes. repeat with remaining glaze until the top of the ham has caramelised
- Take out ham from refrigerator up to an hour before prepping. this will make it easier to remove the skin from ham.
- If time permits you can glaze the ham every 10-15 minutes for extra layers that will enhance the flavour and caramelisation.
- Watch the base of your baking tray doesn’t start to burn from the glaze. if so add a touch of water to the pan.