Recipe by Dominique Rizzo – Urban Feast Cooking School – @dominique_rizzourbanfeast
This hearty and fragrant curry is full of healthy vegetables and spices – a fantastic winter warmer as we slowly move toward Spring. Cauliflower, eggplant, capsicum and tomatoes are all in season right now, so this is a great chance to increase your organic veggie intake and nourish your body. As ever, do your best to pick up certified organic ingredients when shopping for this dish!
- 250g grams of paneer, cubed
- 1 organic eggplant, diced into 2cm cubes
- 1/2 an organic cauliflower with leaves, broken into florets
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- A good pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of ghee/oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 onions chopped into 1cm slices
- 1 organic green capsicum chopped into chunks
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder/cayenne paprika for mild spice
- 1.5 teaspoons of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1x 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 250ml of water
- 3/4 cup of organic yoghurt (your choice of either dairy or plant-based plain yoghurt) mixed with 2 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar/honey/agave for sweetness
- 1 teaspoon of dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200c (180c fan-forced).
- Place the paneer, diced eggplant and the broken cauliflower including the leaves into a large bowl. Mix the oil with the curry power and season with salt and pepper. Pour the oil onto the vegetables and paneer and mix to coat well.
- Place onto a lined baking tray and roast for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the oven.
- In a wide frypan, heat up your ghee or oil. Once hot, add in the ginger, garlic and onions and sauté for 30 seconds. Add in the capsicum and all the spices and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes and water and stir, lower the heat and cover. Simmer for 8 minutes until thickened.
- Add in the roasted paneer, cauliflower and eggplant. Slowly pour in the yoghurt mixed with the coconut flour. Cook covered for 2 minutes.
- Now add in cardamom, sugar and fenugreek leaves. Stir and cook for 2 minutes more. Serve with flatbread and your choice of accompaniments.
About Dominique Rizzo
As a chef, restaurateur, author and TV presenter, my aim is to inspire people to cook with fresh, seasonal, local produce. When I am hosting cooking classes, my aim is to educate people and build confidence in the kitchen. At the same time, I live to inspire creative cooking to bring vitality onto people’s plates. I love sharing my passion for all things world food, with like-minded foodies and travellers.
Want more recipes like this? Sign up to Bud Organic Club for free here and get them delivered straight to your inbox.